Part of the Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society
Preserving the History & Heritage of Lake Winnipeasukee & Vicinity



Return to Meredith

Return to Main History


Lake Waukewan's outlet into Lake Winnipesaukee provided water power to drive the first small mills in Meredith Village, starting in 1795, but it was less desirable than water sources in Meredith Bridge, Meredith Center and the Weirs. That changed during the early 1800s when John Bond Swasey redirected the outlet into a canal leading to a 40-foot waterfall, greatly increasing the amount and duration of available power. He then built a series of new mills, thus solidifying the growth of the village as a typical New England mill town. Community Park along the canal was created in 1996 on the site of the old Thaddeus Moses home (also known as the "Rust Building"). Mr. Moses operated a metalsmith shop in the building over the canal and served the Meredith region as a state senator.

Community Park/Waukewan Canal can be found by taking Route 3 to the lights in Meredith. Turn left and go up the hill onto Main Street. Community Park/Waukewan Canal is located on High Street which is on the right of Main Street.

Home | About Us | Museum | News | History | Bingo | Shop | Membership | Contact | You Can Help!

The Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society is a non-profit organization.