Preserving the History & Heritage of Lake Winnipesaukee & Vicinity
Return to Main History
OF GILFORD, NH
Gilford, the center of which is opposite
this location, is the only New Hampshire town named for
a Revolutionary War battle, the 1781 Battle of Guilford
Court House in North Carolina. After the war, Lt. Lemuel
B. Mason, a New Hampshire officer who served in that battle,
retired to Gilmanton. In 1812, when the town was divided,
as its oldest and most famous citizen, he was accorded
the honor of choosing a name for the new town.
Marker location: Located
on Route 11-A near the fire station in Gilford Village.