Part of the Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society
Preserving the History & Heritage of Lake Winnipeasukee & Vicinity



Return to Meredith

Return to Main History


With its angular square tower topped with a steep, flared pyramidal roof and iron cresting, the Hawkins/Deneault house epitomizes Victorian eclecticism. No fewer than four decorative shingle patterns adorn the walls. Note the surviving granite hitching post near the street. Dr. Frederick Hawkins was the principal physician in Meredith for several decades. He was the son of William Hawkins, who was killed in 1863 during the Civil War Battle of Chancellorsville, and his mother died six years later. The orphan, however, excelled in school and graduated from a Philadelphia medical school before returning to his hometown to take over the village medical practice. After the death of Dr. and Mrs. Hawkins, their home was purchased by Dr. Frederick and Dorothea Deneault. Dr. Deneault maintained a dentistry practice in the house until the 1970s.

Hawkins/Denault House can be found by taking Route 3 to the lights in Meredith. Turn left and go up the hill onto Main Street. Hawkins/Denault House is located in the fork between Main & Waukewan Streets, beyond the Meredith Public Library.

Home | About Us | Museum | News | History | Bingo | Shop | Membership | Contact | You Can Help!

The Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society is a non-profit organization.