lake winni museum logo
 
  
Like Us On
facebook
Preserving the History & Heritage of Lake Winnipesaukee & Vicinity
 
 

GILFORD
Connect with Gilford!
Thompson Ames Historical Society
President: Joan Nelson
PO Box 7404
Gilford, NH 03247-7404
603-527-9009

www.gilfordhistoricalsociety.org

Return to Main History

 

Once a part of Gilmanton called Gunstock Parish, the town was named for a key battle at the end of the revolution, the Battle of Guilford Court House, North Carolina. Sargent Lemuel B. Mason, who had fought in that battle, had retired to Gunstock Parish. In 1812, he successfully proposed incorporation of a new town to be named Gilford. North Carolina's Guilford Court House has long since been renamed Martinsville. The original name is used by the Gunstock recreation area on Belknap Mountain. Reprinted from www.nhes.state.nh.us

More About Gilford
 
History of Gilford
 
Places to Visit
 

1. Kimball's Castle

2. Brief History of Gilford

3. Diamond Island & the Spooner Family

4. Diamond Island & the Spooner Family Part Two

Battle for Guilford Courthouse Marker




Home | About Us | Museum | News | History | Bingo | Shop | Membership | Contact | You Can Help!

The Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society is a non-profit organization.