lake winni museum logo
 
  
Like Us On
facebook
Preserving the History & Heritage of Lake Winnipesaukee & Vicinity
 
 

HOLDERNESS
   
Holderness was named in 1751 for Robert Darcy, fourth Earl of Holderness, ambassador to Venice and minister at The Hague under King George III. He opposed the king's policy toward the colonies, and became a close friend of Governor Wentworth in efforts to promote friendly trade relations abroad. In 1761, the land was regranted to a group of New England families, including Samuel Livermore, who wanted to create a pretentious estate similar to that of the English countryside. Reprinted from www.nhes.state.nh.us

Return to Main History








More About Holderness
 
History of Holderness
 
Places to Visit
View photos of Holderness

Map of Holderness, NH
 

1. Manor on Golden Pond

2. A Brief Early History

3. Holderness School - A Brief History

4. Oren B. Cheney - Notable Holderness Native

Trinity Church & Graveyard

Samuel Livermore Marker





Home | About Us | Museum | News | History | Bingo | Shop | Membership | Contact | You Can Help!

The Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society is a non-profit organization.