lake winni museum logo
 
  
Like Us On
facebook
Preserving the History & Heritage of Lake Winnipesaukee & Vicinity
 
 

MEREDITH
Connect with Meredith!
Meredith Historical Society
PO Box 920
Meredith, NH 03253
www.MHSWeb.org

Return to Main
History

 

Meredith was first known as Palmer's Town, in honor of Samuel Palmer, a teacher of surveying and navigation, who had laid out much of the land surrounding Lake Winnipesaukee. One of the first towns to have a charter granted by the Masonian Proprietors, many new settlers were from Salem, Massachusetts, and the town was renamed New Salem. In 1768, the land was regranted and named after Sir William Meredith, who opposed taxation on the colonies. Reprinted from www.nhes.state.nh.us

More About Meredith
 
History of Meredith
 
Places to Visit

View photos of Meredith

Map of Meredith, NH

View Vintage Advertisements Focused on Meredith

 

1. Meredith Village: An Historical Overview

2. Bob Montana: Creator of Archie Comics - Meredith Resident

3. Meredith "Latchkey to the White Mountains" 1947

Waterfront Parks

Village Mills

Nutting/Horne Block

Lower Main Street

Congregational
Church Highland
Street

Historical Society Museum

Sanborn House/Drug Store

Lang/Mansfield/
Grad's Store





Home | About Us | Museum | News | History | Bingo | Shop | Membership | Contact | You Can Help!

The Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society is a non-profit organization.