Like Us On
facebook
Preserving the History & Heritage of Lake Winnipesaukee & Vicinity
 

WEIRS
 
First explored in the 1620's, Laconia was for many years a part of Meredith and Gilford known as Meredith Bridge. Early explorers had hoped to follow the Piscataqua River north to Lake Champlain, in search of the great lakes and rivers of Canada told of in Indian lore. These explorers were known as the Laconia Adventurers, Laconia being a region of ancient Greece. Incorporated as a city in 1893, Laconia includes the villages of Lakeport and Weirs Beach. "Weirs" is the name of primitive fishing devices discovered at the outlet of Lake Winnipesaukee. Reprinted from www.nhes.state.nh.us

Return to Main History

 








More About Weirs
 
History of Weirs
  Places to Visit
 

1. Magic In The Night by Ed Allard

2. Weirs Timeline - 1632-1968

3. Dick Binette - International Water Skiing Champion

4. Handy Landing - A Weirs Landmark

4. Arthur H. Whitney Stables at Weirs Photos

Weirs Beach

Winnipesaukee Pier & Gardens

Endicott Rock