This town was
first granted in 1759 to four young men of Portsmouth,
and named Wolfeboro in honor of General James Wolfe,
who had been victorious at Quebec in 1759. In 1763, 2,300
acres were added to the 60 acres reserved for the governor.
Governor John Wentworth established an estate on the
site, known as Kingswood. This was the first summer country
estate in northern New England. Reprinted