lake winni museum logo
 
  
Like Us On
facebook
Preserving the History & Heritage of Lake Winnipesaukee & Vicinity
 
 

HUMISTON SCHOOL
MEREDITH, NH

Return to Meredith

Return to Main History

 

Once the village district school, the Humiston Building now houses the Inter-Lakes School District administrative offices. About 1875, Ebenezer and Cassandra (Swasey) Stevens donated property for a new village school, a four-room building which accommodated all the village public school grades. In 1914, the town consolidated many of its outlying schools into the stately brick building that still stands today. This newer building is arranged similarly to the library nearby with a projecting central entry bay and flanking wings. Concrete, instead of granite, was used for trim, reflecting a growing reliance on this less expensive, man-made stone. After Lang Street School was built in 1925, the Main Street building became Meredith High School. Among its leading teachers through the years was John Humiston, by whose name the building is known today.

Humiston School can be found by taking Route 3 to the lights in Meredith. Turn left and go up the hill onto Main Street. Humiston School is located on the right side of Main Street, beyond Meredith Public Library.

 

 


Home | About Us | Museum | News | History | Bingo | Shop | Membership | Contact | You Can Help!

The Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society is a non-profit organization.