The Baptist Church stands behind the Meredith Public Library in 1905.
The meetinghouse of the Second Baptist Church Society of Meredith was built in 1834 "upon a rock." Its name was changed in 1860 to Meredith Village Baptist Church, and it is now called the First Baptist Church of Meredith.
The brick structure bears Federal-style features, including arched side windows, semi-elliptical louvered fans in the pedimented gable front, as well as in the base of the tower. Brick was used only on the front face of the tower; the remaining faces are covered with clapboards. The onion dome atop the tower, added later, lends a distinctive air to the building.
For many years the Baptist Church bell served as a community signal. It was tolled when town residents died, "giving as many strokes as the person was years old." There were numerous Baptist societies formed in early Meredith, some of them called Freewill Baptists or Anti-Pedo Baptists due to their belief that Christian Baptism should be an individual's "free will" choice and not performed on infants.
The Baptist Church in Meredith, NH.