Congregational Church with its square tower prior to 1871.
Known variously over the years as the "North Church" or the "White House," the First Congregational Church of Meredith with its prominent white spire has become a symbol of Meredith's New England charm.
Organized in 1815, the earliest gathering of the church met on the hill off Center Harbor Road (Route 25). In 1832-33, the society built a new church opposite the Old Oak on Meredith Bay. It was moved in 1842 to its present site on Highland Street.
The Highland Street Congregational Church today.
This fine example of classic New Hampshire ecclesiastical architecture bears the results of the move, as well as a later renovation. Its earlier, Federal-style features are visible in the arched side windows and accompanying arched blinds, curved modillion blocks beneath the eaves and the semi-elliptical fanlights located above the entrance in the gable.
Originally topped with a square tower with corner finials, the spire was added in 1871. It rests on a three-stage tower consisting of a base, a belfry with louvered arches and an octagonal clock tower.