Lower Main Street c. 1910.
The core of early Meredith's shopping district was along the Main Street hill also known as lower Main Street. J.W. Beede's store at the corner of Main and Plymouth sold dry goods and was operated by the Beede family for nearly 70 years.
The Wiggin Block on the east side of Main Street and the Blaisdell and Prescott Blocks across the street housed a wide variety of stores over the years. Among the diverse concerns located in these buildings have been dry goods, grocery and apothecary (drug) stores, tonsorial artists (barbers), a millinery, a tailor and even a billiards parlor.
For many years the upper level of the Wiggin Block served as the meeting hall of the local Independent Order of Odd Fellows society, and the Blaisdell Block served as a Masonic hall.
Beautiful lower Main Street in Meredith, NH as it appears today.