Like Us On
Preserving the History & Heritage of Lake Winnipesaukee & Vicinity
Wolfeboro, NH
This town was first granted in 1759 to four young men of Portsmouth, and named Wolfeboro in honor of General James Wolfe, who had been victorious at Quebec in 1759. In 1763, 2,300 acres were added to the 60 acres reserved for the governor. Governor John Wentworth established an estate on the site, known as Kingswood. This was the first summer country estate in northern New England. Return to History